The feast of Our Lady of Victories originally celebrated the rout of the Ottoman Empire’s navy by a Christian armada at Lepanto in 1571, effectively ending Muslim domination of the eastern Mediterranean and its threat to Europe. Successive tweaks broadened the feast’s intention considerably. Boston’s church is actually named after the famous Parisian shrine Notre-Dame-des-Victoires. It was the first French parish in the city, long associated with the Marist Fathers. Patrick C. Keely designed the present building in 1886 with its significant stained glass by F. X. Zeittler of Munich.