Advanced Choral Conducting Masterclass
Six conductors will be accepted into the advanced category. They should be able to conduct movements of large works with orchestra, including recitatives. Masterclass repertoire may include:
- Mozart: Coronation Mass (any movement)
- Handel: Messiah excerpts, nos. 14–16 (soprano recitatives: “There were shepherds” through “And suddenly there was with the angel”)
- Pinkham: Christmas Cantata (any movement)
- Britten: Festival Te Deum
- Bach: St. John Passion excerpt, no. 1 (“Herr, unser Herrscher, dessen Ruhm in allen Landen herrlich ist!”)
Professor Ann Howard Jones is known throughout the country for her skill as a choral conductor and pedagogue; her ability to elicit technical and musical mastery from singers and conductors is unparalleled. She will lead conducting master classes focused on repertoire and appropriate conducting technique. Participants will be selected in two categories, advanced and intermediate, with one participant conducting during each of three fifteen-minute slots in each workshop.